Regional leaders in ecological fire management and open-forest restoration
Wildsite Ecological Services is an ecological consultancy based on the NSW North Coast. We provide innovative, high quality and professional consulting services in ecological assessment, planning and management to government, non-government organisations (NGOs) and private landowners. Core services areas include:
- Ecological Fire Management
- Vegetation Management & Restoration
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Ecological Survey & Research
- Education & Training
Established in 1997, Wildsite is owned and managed by Dr Andy Baker, who has 25 years of experience working with people and ecosystems across eastern Australia. While most of our projects are handled in-house, we also maintain an extensive network of sub-consultants, bringing together a diverse range of specialists as required for individual projects.
Wildsite maintains the following insurance:
- Professional Indemnity Insurance $10m
- Public Liability Insurance $10m
- Personal Accident Insurance
Dr Andy Baker
Dr Andy Baker is a highly respected fire and vegetation ecologist with 25 years’ experience working with people and ecosystems across the NSW North Coast and South East Queensland. Since founding Wildsite Ecological Services in 1997, Andy has established himself as a leading regional expert in fire ecology and the restoration of fire-dependent Eucalypt forests and heathlands.
After many years as an ecologist focused on traditional ecological restoration methods, Andy became increasingly aware of the growing threat of altered fire regimes to our biodiversity. In 2015, Andy returned to university to complete a doctorate examining the impacts of fire exclusion on Eucalypt forest biodiversity. Today he is both a consultant and a university lecturer, and is a compelling communicator, whether with students, the community or government clients alike.
Andy has a deep working knowledge of fire ecology and management and works closely with traditional Aboriginal custodians, government agencies, non-government organisations and local communities to develop novel solutions with myriad benefits. He is a key opinion leader in ecological fire management and the restoration of open ecosystems and is renowned for his big-picture approach to addressing complex fire and biodiversity issues.
Andy is a member of the following organisations:
- Society For Ecological Restoration
- Queensland Fire & Biodiversity Consortium (Fire Science Reference Group)
- Northern Rivers Fire & Biodiversity Consortium
- Ecological Consultants Association of NSW
- Ecological Society of Australia
- Australian Association of Bushland Regenerators
- Australian Network for Plant Conservation
Andy’s core research interests include:
- the impacts of fire exclusion on open-forest biodiversity and function
- improved restoration of open ecosystems
- open forest classification and mapping
- quantifying inappropriate fire regimes
See Andy’s Google Scholar profile for a list of publications.
We’d love to hear from you. Please fill in your details below and
we’ll get in touch shortly.